Friday, November 09, 2007

Muslim Woman's Poetic License Revoked?

The headline reads "British Muslim woman convicted of penning poems about beheadings" but if you read the article here:

Muslim Poet

we see that it wasn't the poems so much as the other materials she had in her possession. Had it been just the poems you would have read here about my outrage at arresting and trying someone for writing poetry. As a poet, I think poets should be able to write on any topic they want. I'm very pro-free speech that way.

Now, if you haven't looked at the article above, let me give you another reason to: it has two of her poems. And they are bad -- and I'm not talking about content, but aesthetically. Those two poems are terrible. I don't think there was any danger of them catching on with anyone. They might have even embarrassed a few potential terrorists into giving up on their plans. Terrible, amateur poetry. But if one went to jail over bad poetry, or even ill-advised topics, undergraduate poetry classes would be cleaned out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't you include that link as a real link?

Piss Poor Poetry