Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Eliot Spitzer, Go to Jail!

Precisely because he ran on a platform of cleaning up corruption, and precisely because he busted several prostitution rings, New York governor Eliot Spitzer should go to prison. I do believe prostitution should be legal -- but I'm also of the opinion that any politician who violates any law (s)he is responsible for upholding should go to prison. If they want to stay out of prison, they should either keep clean or get rid of the laws for everyone. (Which reminds me: all laws, no matter that they are, should apply to politicians first and foremost. Better: any law passed should have 10x the consequences on a politician as anyone else.)

I suppose he would tell me (as he essentially told everyone in his press conference) to mind my own business . . . but why should I? When he was breaking up prostitution rings, he wasn't minding his own business -- he was minding everyone else's. The law he applied so vigorously should be applied to him just as vigorously. He needs to get a taste of his own medicine.

No comments: