Thursday, February 26, 2009

Shakespeare and Melina

Sometimes when my 2 year old daughter Melina plays, I read aloud. I typically read poetry. The rhythms of good poetry create a music for her to play by. I've read her the romantics, Propertius, and Shakespeare, among others. Earlier this month, I picked up Shakespeare. I'm working through all the plays. I didn't say anything at all -- I just began reading from "A Midsummer Night's Dream." After reading for about ten minutes, Melina came up to me and said something I couldn't quite understand. I thought she was saying something about her ear, so I asked her, "What's wrong with your ear?" She replied, "No. No Shakespeare, daddy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking isn't it?

You probably didn't start early enough. I'm afraid you've lost her. Buy the Shakespeare action figure but ready yourself for defeat at the delicate hands of Barbie.

I have three daughters, by the way.

Troy Camplin said...

I'm not too concerned. After all, I have a 2 yr old who can recognize Shakespeare when she hears it.

Her literary interested are primarily Dr. Seuss and similar poetic picture books and her Dora books, as you can imagine. Otherwise, it's Disney Princess anything, Dora anything, and kitty cats (plush). And music. She's a big fan of the Swedish pop-punk band The Hives.