Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Resurrection of a Saleman

I cannot tell you how long it has been since I have seen door to door salesmen. I haven't seen any almost all my adult life, and I have lived in this house I am living in for over 4 years now, and this Spring was the first I have seen any.

Today I had a meat salesman come by (all overpriced, but made reasonable when the price was cut by half and some chicken tenders thrown in), and recently I had a man try to sell us on a different home security system (we kept our original one after we got an upgrade from them, since the monthly price was cheaper with the one we had). We sometimes get different electric companies come by as well.

It seems strange that door to door salesmen have reappeared on the scene. Is this a reflection of the economic situation? If people won't go out to buy anything, the companies will start coming to us? It is an interesting reversion to an older way of selling. I would be curious to hear what others think, if they have experienced anything like this too, and what this may say about the economic conditions.

No comments: