Monday, May 16, 2011

David Mamet

A very interesting article on David Mamet. It's about his realization that he was never a leftist in the first place. More, we learn he's a critic of what students are taught in college: “If we identify every interaction as having a victim and an oppressor, and we get a pellet when we find the victims, we’re training ourselves not to see cause and effect.” That observation is, sadly, all too accurate. I see it all too often.

I love Mamet's works -- indeed, I have a great admiration for minimalist literature, even though my own work has been described, repeatedly, as maximalist. Yes, even my plays end up having long soliloquies.

3 comments:

Prof J said...

I appreciate Mamet's work, and his newfound way of thinking. But, as with all mainstream media outlets, the divide is liberal and conservative. This is wrong. The true divide is between statist and individualist.

It would be interesting to hear Mamet's views on foreign interventionism. Then one might truly be able to discern his views on the state. I'll probably get the book just to find that out.

Thanks for posting this!

Troy Camplin said...

At least he's getting his economics right. Sowell and Hayek aren't too bad.

Prof J said...

He's definitely reading good work, no doubt there.