Monday, February 04, 2008

The Mythological Winston Churchill

Not that it's any excuse for the rotten job of educating students we do here in the U.S., but it looks like Britain is not far behind. Seriously? 1 in 4 think Churchill is a mythical figure?

This reminds me of a story about a history professor I had at WKU, Jack Thacker. Best history teacher I ever had. Incredible. I had him for Western Civilization Since 1648, and I recommended him to all my friends. Well, one of my friends did take him, and one day that friend told me that Dr. Thacker was talking about Winston Churchill, and a student raised her hand and asked him, "Who is Winston Churchill?" Dr. Thacker put his head down on the podium for a few seconds, then slowly looked up and said, "Winston Churchill is only the most important man of the 20th Century!"

One can only imagine what Dr. Thacker would think of this report.

1 comment:

Todd Camplin said...

Isn't Washington a mythical charactor? After all, no one living has meet him. Therefore, he could be fictional. He could be, Wink, Wink. However, NOT THE CASE for Churchill. Still people living that knew the most important man of the 20th century.