Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Government We Deserve

Apparently the people of John Murtha's district really are as backwards, ignorant and stupid as he repeatedly said they were. How else does one explain his re-election? And Alaska seems to be going to re-elect Ted Stevens Senator despite being convicted of corruption. I mean, my God, what do you have to do to lose re-election in this country? Put bribe money in a freezer and get caught? Hmm. Apparently not.

I still find it bizarre that a political party whose Congress has only 10% approval rating gained many new seats. Seriously, people -- you get the government you deserve in a democracy. I fear we may.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's something I read that you may enjoy (the phrasing):

"The year was 359, and sensing the overwhelming momentum that the Arian heresy was gathering, St. Jerome, the great Biblical scholar who translated the Holy Scriptures for the first time into the common tongue, penned these sad and memorable lines:

'The whole world groaned and marveled to find itself Arian.'

After the events of the preceding month, many of us may be tempted to update Jerome’s 4th century lament: 'The whole world groaned and marveled to find itself collectivized.'"

http://www.acton.org/commentary/486_the_way_forward.php

Troy Camplin said...

Good stuff. I hope all my readers go to the site.