Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Meaningful Words in a Text Proven to Have Fractal Distribution

In my dissertation, Evolutionary Aesthetics, I had a chapter titled "Introduction to the Fractal Distribution of Words in a Text." Because of my lack of technical skill and institutional support, I didn't pursue that line of research (I instead pursued spontaneous order theory, where I was getting positive feedback on my research), but the idea is always in my mind.

Today I found a paper proving my thesis: "The Fractal Patterns of Words in a Text: A Method for Automatic Keyword Extraction." In it they describe a method for finding keywords based on their fractal pattern. However, they do this in nonfiction works, while I did mine in a work of fiction. But both of us were searching for meaningful words in each text. And indeed it seems that meaningful words do have a fractal distribution within a text, while "filler" words are randomly distributed.

The Fractal Patterns of Words in a Text: A Method for Automatic Keyword Extraction

No comments: