Sunday, October 08, 2006

Higher Education or Trade School?

One of the major reforms I would encourage in education includes a restructuring of attitudes toward higher education. Not everyone needs to go to college to get an academic education. Many need to go to trade schools or technical colleges. Our high schools need to reflect that reality. In Europe, grade school students take aptitude tests to determine if they go into academics or to a high school to help them learn a trade. I think that would be a good step for the U.S. to take -- though with some ability for the child and parents to choose, of course. The following essay: http://www.johnlocke.org/acrobat/pope_articles/the_overselling_of_higher_education_report.pdf explains the position I support in greater detail. I am fortunate that at the charter school where I teach, there is an honors program that allows me to teach the academic children at a much higher level, meaning they can get a properly classical education, which will truly prepare them for university. The rest of the students, who either will not go to college, or who should be going to a technical school, but will go to college instead (making the mistake the essayist is talking about), should be given an education that will more directly involve the kinds of situations they will actually encounter in work and life. Which could lead me into a discussion of the need for reintroducing ethics (including basic things like manners and good posture) into the schools (starting in pre-K), but that is another posting for another time.

1 comment:

Troy Camplin said...

We are, of course, in complete agreement. BUt I certainly appreciate the details about the German trade schools. That's precisely what I was talking about in suggesting we take on the European model. I was, of course, talking about the high schools, but for higher education, it certainly applied. Many students don't realize how important other aspects of educaiton are. But consider the effect of making them take history, but making the focus be on the history of brewing. It is also helpful to frame things like Composition in such a way that it becomes obvious what use it is for the student. Oddly, they seem to need such information to even care about the subject. I had this experience with my 11th grade class, where I told them how knowing how to read well would help them understand contracts and insurance documents.

BTW, Todd managed to save all my stuff between crashes. Thank God.

I hope I can at least periodically post some stuff again.